Rhodiola Rosea, also known as the “roseroot”, “arctic root”, or “golden root”, is a herb with a broad range of beneficial properties. Used for thousands of year, Rhodiola Rosea has the gift of combating stress, restoring good mood, and eliminating hormonal imbalance.
Consumed in its natural state, in the form of tinctures or tea, or as a dietary supplement, this herb is famous for its adaptogenic effect. More specifically, its compounds help the body adapt to change and stress, regardless of the type: physical, thermal, intellectual, psychological, etc.
The adaptogenic effect of Rhodiola Rosa is added a sum of other influences in many processes throughout the entire body, such as:
- regulates CRH (corticotropin) and ACTH (adrenocorticotropin), beta-endorphins, adrenaline, norepinephrine, and corticosteroids, ensuring optimum balance necessary for the functioning of the body;
- reduces inflammations in the body by lowering the level of C-reactive protein and creatine kinase;
- stimulates the action of dopamine and serotonin;
- increases the ability to utilize oxygen at the cellular level;
- enhances the production of adenosine triphosphate and creatine phosphate, stimulating the cell energy metabolism.
All these processes, which are positively influenced by the Rhodiola Rosea administration, translate into a variety of physical and mental health benefits. The most famous include:
- improving mood and amelioration of the problems caused by chronic stress: anxiety, panic attacks, depression, irritability, headaches, tachycardia, hypertension, myocardial infarction, gastric ulcer, erectile dysfunction, infertility, diabetes, hirsutism, premature ejaculation, low libido, amenorrhea, etc.;
- improving Cushing’s syndrome, present in combination with different types of cancer: liver, lung, pancreatic, testicular, ovarian, intestinal, etc.;
- reducing manifestations in fibromyalgia, ADHD, Parkinson’s disease;
- preventing premature aging;
- improving memory and concentration capacity, and visual acuity.
Rhodiola extract is helpful even when in the case of adapting to the transition from the hot to cold season and vice versa, boosting immunity and mood. Specialists consider that people with heart problems can benefit from the effects of Rhodiola root extract since the beta blocker effect regulates the heart rate and blood flow.
In Asia, Rhodiola is an old ally of women on the threshold of menopause, because it reduced the unpleasant symptoms, and young women who want children and have problems with the menstrual cycle as well.
It is also recommended for people who suffer from mild insomnia, due to stress, because it helps them have a peaceful sleep and wake up rested and refreshed.
Rhodiola Rosea Scientific Research
A group of 40 women suffering from amenorrhea was administered daily, for two weeks, Rhodiola Rosea extract, after which it was observed the returning of regular menstruation. Subsequently, 11 of these women became pregnant.
Rhodiola Rosea was administered to a group of 35 men and it was observed an improvement of sexual function if 26 of them. In addition, it was noted a normalization of prostatic fluid.
In various research on the human body, Rhodiola Rosea has been shown to improve endurance, stamina, physical exercise capacity, recovery time after exercise, motor coordination, and cardiovascular values. This makes Rhodiola Rosea extracts to be an invaluable aid for athletes.